Mulderbosch Chenin Blanc Steen op Hout 2017, good match with my Brick Chicken

Mulderbosch Chenin Blanc Steen op Hout 2017

Mulderbosch Vineyards in Stellenbosch has Adam Mason as Winemaker. Adam’s wines could be considered as benchmarks of their type. Mulderbosch Chenin Blanc Steen op Hout 2017 shines like a beacon as it expresses everything that is good about Chenin which has had contact with oak.

Adam Mason, Mulderbosch Winemaker

The grapes for the Mulderbosch Chenin Blanc Steen op Hout 2017 come from 85% Stellenbosch and the other component is 15% from the Darling Wine Appellation. 60% of the blend is from vines older than 30 years and the remainder older than 20 years. The wine was fermented in stainless steel tanks with 28% of the blend going after fermentation into a 50% split of second and third fill barrels for a 6-month period of maturation. The wine was then prepared for bottling.

Chenin Blanc takes advantage of early morning sunshine

It looks like
Bottled under screw cap in a Burgundy shaped bottle with the unique quirky cigar label.  In the glass, it is a gem bright pale golden straw with green amber flashes.

It smells like
Brilliant ripe semi tropical fruits, desiccated pineapple, poached guava and melon.

It tastes like
From entry there is a lovely minerality about the wine which opens up into a full intensely fruited sappy mid palate beautifully balanced. The mango melon creaminess, the oak and its concomitant spices and a golden thread of acidity all in harmony.  Beautiful wine – packed with flavour.

It’s good with
A serious sipping wine for sundowner philosophical conversation. It is a hero when it comes to food pairing and will go well with Oriental dishes, is perfect with a lovely buttery roast organic chickens. It works really well with my Brick Chicken – cooked under a brick sotto mattone. I am amused as I thought that I had invented the dish having seen a chef on TV putting a weight on a piece of steak. Meanwhile the Sicilians had been doing it for ever. Click here for my recipe.

Listen to my 60 second Fine Music Radio podcast – CLICK HERE

Read more about Mulderbosch Vineyards – CLICK HERE

Mulderbosch Vineyards
is our
Website Partner


Share This Story, Choose Your Platform