Fable Mountain Jackal Bird 2014 & Anina Meyer’s Chicken, Bacon & Potato Tray Bake – 02.06.2017

Fable Mountain Jackal Bird 2014

There are few things more exciting that watching a bird catching thermals in the sky and sweeping back and forth appearing to have so much fun in the quietest most exhilarating manner.  The Jackal Bird is one of them.

The Fable Mountain Jackal Bird 2014 honours this bird which is so often seen in the skies about the Fable Mountain Vineyards.

Tremayne Smith, the Fable Mountain Wine Maker

A blend of 49% Old vine Swartland Chenin Blanc with 9% Elgin Chardonnay and 21% Grenache Blanc, 17% Roussanne, and 4% Viognier, from the Voor Paardeberg. Once in the cellar the wine is given an interesting treatment by Tremayne Smith, the Fable Mountain Wine Maker.  He uses both oxidative and reductive approaches, cold soak skin contact, and clean ferments. No yeasts are ever added to any ferment and the wines spend most the year on their lees. 70% of the wines were fermented and matured in 500 litre French oak barrels and the remaining 30% being fermented and aged in Nomblot concrete egg shaped fermenters. The blend is then prepared for bottling.

Jackal Buzzard – lovely red markings

It looks like
Bottled under natural cork closure in a Burgundy shaped bottle.  The label is a charming etching of the fabulous mountain backdrop of the vineyards. In the glass, a pale straw with green gold flashes.

It smells like
Waves of orange flower water, piel de sapo melon. Undertow of gentle oak and its concomitant spices.

It tastes like
A generosity of fruit, Golden Delicious Apples, ripe yellow fleshed cling peaches. There is great texture, huge mouth feel and a lovely kelp mineral ending, with a zingy .

Anina Meyer’s Chicken Bacon & Potato Tray Bake

Its good with
A wine like this really needs a good counterbalancing food dish. It is packed with such amazing flavour, it can take on some pretty big food flavours. Anina Meyer’s Chicken Bacon & Potato Tray Bake comes to the rescue. Click here for her recipe.

Anina Meyer

Click here to listen to my 60 second Fine Music Radio – CLICK HERE

Read more about Fable Mountain Vineyards & buy wines online – CLICK HERE

Fable Mountain Vineyards
is our
Website Partner


Share This Story, Choose Your Platform