Delaire Graff Sauvignon Blanc 2018, is a good match with Carey Boucher Erasmus’s Very Generous Caesar Salad…

Delaire Graff Sauvignon Blanc 2018

One of the things I have enjoyed about Delaire Graff Wines over recent years is how the wines have changed subtly as the vines have aged and Morné Vrey, the Estate’s much awarded winemaker, uses more and more cutting-edge techniques to extract maximum flavours for the Delaire Graff Sauvignon Blanc 2018.

Perfect bunch of Sauvignon Blanc Grapes

Born in a vintage which experienced the worst drought conditions in the Western Cape in living memory. The crop was very small, lighter bunches and smaller berries just packed with flavour and excellent colour. The grapes for the Delaire Graff Sauvignon Blanc 2018 were hand harvested before dawn in the broader Western Cape Wine Appellation, a vast area of over 400 kilometres, spreading the flavour profiles across a large area. The wine is made up of 92% Sauvignon Blanc and the remaining 8% Semillon, adding its gravitas to the more playful Sauvignon Blanc. Once destemmed and crushed, no skin contact was allowed with the juice being racked off and then cool fermented for three weeks. A period of 5 weeks followed with the wine lying on its primary lees. After blending of the various components, the wine then lay for a further three months on its fine lees, this builds mouthfeel and broader mid palate flavours. The wine was then prepared for bottling.

Morné Vrey – barrel tasting

From an appropriately shaped Bordeaux green glass bottle under screw cap. The label is simple, elegant and classically Delaire Graff. In the glass, the wine tends to lean more to the kelpy, green aromas and flavours. Scrunched fynbos grasses, green asparagus and fig mingle with sweet tropical limes in a wine which has a golden thread of zesty fruit acidity from entry through to a long and gently waning aftertaste. Lovely poached cape gooseberries too, with a touch of wet river stones [you did suck them when you were young didn’t you?].

Carey Boucher Erasmus’s Very Generous Caesar Salad

The Delaire Graff Sauvignon Blanc 2018 is the perfect glass on its own, as a mid-morning refresher, or gently sipping at sundown. The perfect food wine and able to take on quite strong food flavours, a real Caesar Salad with the proper dressing and croutons, is a lovely lunch time dish. Carey Boucher Erasmus’s Very Generous Caesar Salad uses chicken to add to the flavours. Click here for her recipe.

Carey Boucher Erasmus in her ‘gear’

Read more about Delaire Graff Wine Estate – CLICK HERE

Delaire Graff Wine Estate
is our
Website Partner


Share This Story, Choose Your Platform