This is a very popular soup and it takes less than 30 minutes to prepare. Make sure you use finely sliced biltong OR shaved biltong. You can also use some biltong powder (available at some supermarkets) but not more than 50% (Thus: 70 g biltong powder and 70 g finely shaved/sliced biltong).
Christine Capendale’s Biltong & Mushroom Soup
60 g butter
2 cloves garlic, crushed
2 leeks OR small shallots, sliced thinly
150 g thinly sliced mushrooms
2,5 ml ground black pepper
2,5 ml ground coriander
60 ml flour
500 ml organic beef stock
250 ml milk
125 ml cream
150 ml coarsely grated Cheddar cheese OR 100 ml crumbled blue cheese
140 g finely sliced (shaved) biltong
Salt (to taste)
80 ml chopped chives
Extra biltong slices for garnish
• Mix together the stock, milk and cream and keep aside
• Melt the butter in a heavy-based saucepan
• Add the leeks, garlic and the spices and cook for a few minutes then add the mushrooms. Cook until the leeks and mushrooms start to brown slightly.
• Mix in half of the biltong
• Add the flour and add the liquid (mixture of stock, milk and cream) whilst stirring all the time.
• Heat slowly over medium heat until the mixture begins to simmer and thicken
• Remove from the heat and stir in the cheese and the rest of the biltong. Return to the heat but do not boil – heat until the cheese melt and the soup is piping hot.
• Taste and adjust the seasoning. Add some of the chopped chives.
• Ladle the soup into 4 deep bowls and scatter a few slices of biltong and the rest of the chives on the soup.
Read more about Christine Capendale – CLICK HERE