Lozärn Chardonnay 2018, so good with Jane Anne Hobbs’s Chicken with Roasted Onions, Grapes and Verjuice…

Lozärn Chardonnay 2018

I was recently sent a bottle of the Lozärn Chardonnay 2018 by this eponymous Estate’s winemaker Salome Buys-Vermeulen. A maiden vintage of Chardonnay for her on Lozärn, and a great addition to the already bemedaled and awarded wines of Lozärn. Robertson is well known for its fine Chardonnays and this one is worthy of standing side by side with the other sublime wines from the appellation.

A row of Chardonnay awaiting the harvest

The grapes for the Lozärn Chardonnay 2018 were harvested 80% from vines planted in Shale and Koffieklip, the latter looking like instant coffee granules. The remaining 20% came from the clay soils of Bonnievale and that component was fermented and matured in Stainless steel tanks – adding a brilliant freshness to the final wine. Once in the cellar and the winemaking processes took place, the 80% component of the wine was matured in French oak barrels, the largest proportion of which were second fill French oak barrels. The wines were then blended and prepared for bottling.

Lozärn Winemaker Salome Buys-Vermeulen

Pour
Lozärn Chardonnay 2018 from a Burgundy shaped bottle closed under natural cork and a copper coloured wax covering. The label is Lozärn classic, black, very black, with copper printing, In the glass, a pale golden honey in colour. The palate follows on form the rich aromas of windfall oranges, sweet tropical limes and a caramel and vanilla spice undertow from the oak barrels. From entry, the wine is crisp and fresh and full through the middle palate to the satisfying long aftertaste where you find the most perfect harmony of components and a pleasant flintiness. For me, I sat back in true happiness when I had my first sip. This wine has all the attributes of one which will improve with some cool cellaring for a couple of years.

Jane Anne Hobbs’s Chicken with Roasted Onions, Grapes and Verjuice

Pair
This is no quaffer. More a sipper as a lead in to a meal. Dont chill it too much, remember Chardonnay is a white wine pretending to be a red wine! A fully flavoured Chardonnay like this will happily take on big flavours, I think of Pork Belly with crispy crackling, roast Granny Smith Apples and real gravy. Jane Anne Hobbs’s Chicken with Roasted Onions, Grapes and Verjuice is the most perfect partner for the Lozärn Chardonnay 2018. Click HERE for her recipe.

Jane-Anne Hobbs runs the biggest food Facebook page in the country

Read more about Lozärn Wines – CLICK HERE

 

signature