Alida Ryder is a wonderful cook, photographer, has written two cookbooks and has the most wonderful website called Simply Delicious. Do have a look and subscribe to it, you will never be short of brilliant things to cook and lovely food to look at – Click here. To read my reviews of her two fabulous cook books – click here.
Alida Ryder’s Lamb Shank Pie
Prep time 30 mins
Cook time 4 hours
Total time 4 hours 30 mins
3 large lamb shanks
2 red onions, roughly chopped
1 head of garlic, broken into cloves and peeled
4 sprigs fresh rosemary
10 sprigs fresh thyme
2 bay leaves
300ml red wine
400ml beef stock
1 x 400g tin chopped tomatoes
1 tablespoon tomato paste
2 teaspoons sea salt flakes
1 teaspoon cracked black pepper
1 sheet puff pastry, thawed
1 egg, beaten
1. Pre-heat the oven to 200°c.
2. Place the lamb shanks in a deep oven-proof dish then add the onion, garlic, herbs, wine, stock, tomatoes, salt and pepper.
3. Cover with a lid/foil and place in the oven.
4. Allow to cook for 30 minutes at 200 then turn the oven down to 150°c and allow to cook until the meat falls from the bone (around 3-4 hours).
5. When the meat is cooked, remove from the oven then allow to cool slightly.
6. Pre-heat the oven to 180°c.
7. Remove the lamb shanks from the oven dish and discard the herbs.
8. Shred the meat and mix with 2-3 cups of the remaining cooking juices, the onion and garlic.
9. Place in a oven-proof dish then top with the pastry. Brush with the beaten egg and cut a small slit in the top of the pastry to allow steam to escape.
10. Place the pie in the oven and allow to bake for 20-25 minutes until the pastry is puffed and golden brown.
11. Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes then serve.
Click here for Michael’s Wine recommendation – Jordan Merlot 2011